I hope that you will enjoy today's Q&A by Feature Friday artist, Carolina Medrano of Santa Catarsis!
1. What prompted your passion for jewelry and jewelry design?
I studied industrial design and during that time I got enrolled in jewelry courses and really enjoyed it, I loved working in the workshop and getting to know all the processes and working with materials like metals, glass, resin, enamel and stones. Ever since then I knew that was what a wanted to do for a living.
2. What is your favorite piece or collection?
My favorite collection is “1.0” because that was the first one I got out as Santa Catarsis and it was made out of one of a kind pieces, which makes it really special too. Also I love the enamel pieces because each one is very unique, you never get the same thing twice.
3. What would your perfect “jewelry day” involve / be like?
Getting a cup of coffee, cheking my email and messages so then I can be free to get in the workshop with some music for hours. I love when I do gemstone shopping too, that can involve the whole afternoon. Then maybe take some photographs, its important to always document your work before you hand it out to stores or clients, so you can keep like a “diary” and have material to share on social networks.
4. Thus far, what would you say is your proudest jewelry moment or memory?
Maybe when I run into random people and ask me what I do and they already know Santa Catarsis. Also running into people who are wearing some of my stuff that’s really cool! So maybe more than a special moment or event or something, every time I get to see that people really like my work and my pieces.
5. Where do you find your greatest inspiration?
I really like ancient cultures, so I get influenced a lot by that in forms and colors. Also I am fan of different artists like Matisse, Kandinsky, Gauguin among others that have definitely inspired me.
6. In your personal wardrobe, do you find that you gravitate to one particular jewelry accessory (rings vs. necklace vs. bracelets vs. watches, etc.) more often than others?
I always wear rings, necklace (s) and my basic stud earrings (in that order of importance). Those three are always part of my everday’s look. But if I had to choose i would say rings.
7. When putting together an outfit, how do you feel about mixing metals, designs and even new with vintage pieces?
I love mixing things. I have vintage pieces that I love and don’t mind mixing them with some of my designs at all, I also don’t mind mixing silver and gold specially with rings or bracelets. I think in jewelry you can go a little wild and create some cool looks.
8. Layering seems to be a trend that is here to stay, for now. What are your feelings on the layered look? How do you like layered necklaces with layered bracelets plus layered rings?
I do it all the time! It’s definitely a trend to stay. I mean you don’t have to layer all of your jewelry at once, but a set of three bangles or two different length necklaces look really cool. Like everything there should be balance, you can go heavier or not depending on the outfit you are wearing.
To keep doing what they love and be true to your style and personality in terms of jewelry. And to enjoy your work, everything comes easier if you don’t forget to enjoy it and remember why you started in the first place.
Flash Question - Dream trip destination?