When I first saw Laura's collections, I was immediately taken with the earthy vibe that radiates from them. They have a boldness that demands to be examined while still having that classic, elegant look that is perfect for a day-to-night wardrobe change. Perfect for any woman who prefers that her jewelry be "double duty."
So without any further ado, enjoy this week's Feature Friday Q&A with Laura Jackowski-Dickson of LJD Jewelry Designs!
1. What prompted your passion for jewelry and jewelry design?
I think I was born with this “affliction," LOL. As a child living overseas, when we would return to the States each summer, my grandfather would take me to rock shops and I would get to choose one. I still have all those rocks on my desk today. My father also would buy nice gems and have pieces made for my mother. I remember watching him with this one jeweler in South America discussing a large aquamarine and I was hooked! That day, as a six year old, I designed my first ring with him…great memories.
2. What is your favorite piece or collection?
The Torn Between Cuff is very special to me in soooo many ways !
|Torn Between Cuff, Oceania Silver features blue tourmaline cab, blue-green opal, emerald & gem silica, |
embellished with parabia tourmaline, aquamarine, green sapphires & brilliant white diamonds, $6,500.
3. What would your perfect “jewelry day” involve / be like?
I love to go into the studio with one design idea and then just like magic that one design evolves into many more, they keep popping up, I can’t draw fast enough - that is exciting.
4. Thus far, what would you say is your proudest jewelry moment or memory?
Winning the Spectrum Award, 2011 Manufacturing Honors on my first Cuff!
5. Where do you find your greatest inspiration?
Walking on the beach, day or night, there are so many textures!
6. In your personal wardrobe, do you find that you gravitate to one particular jewelry accessory (rings vs. necklace vs. bracelets vs. watches, etc.) more often than others?
I can’t go out the door without at least one bracelet but usually more!
7. When putting together an outfit, how do you feel about mixing metals, designs and even new with vintage pieces?
I love to mix things! All of the above!
|Palm Berries Ring with Pearls in 18K Gold, 18K Gold Palm Berries Ring with Tahitian Cultured Pearls, available |
in 18K White, Yellow, Rose or Green Gold, $3,270.
8. Layering seems to be a trend that is here to stay, for now. What are your feelings on the layered look? How do you like layered necklaces with layered bracelets plus layered rings?
Again, I love this look and it really depends on the person wearing it and their personality, as well. Then of course, there is the elegant look of a little black dress and one dramatic cuff…
|Night Sky Cuff, Full Sky 18K gold, 18K Yellow Gold Cuff featuring White,Black,Champagne and Cognac Diamonds, $29,775.|
9. What advice would you give to budding jewelry designers? To budding fine jewelry collectors?
In fifty years or more, will this piece/design still be a classic, beautiful and a quality piece/design? This is the question that I ask when working on jewelry. Be sure that it would never be considered for melting down.
Flash Question - Dream trip destination?
A sailboat, a year and (with a crew of course) let’s see how far we can go…